Serves:6 Prep-Time:15 minutes Cooking Time:45 minutes
- 6 firm pears, peeled and stalks intact
- 750 ml pomegranate juice (no sugar added)
- 2-4 tbsp brown sugar (optional if you have a very sweet tooth)
- 1/2 tsp natural beetroot powder (optional, for extra depth of colour)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 5-6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, split into halves
- ½ tsp ground/1 tbsp fresh ginger
- Mix all the spices and sugar (if having) in warm pomegranate juice in a jug.
- Arrange the pears sitting upright tightly in a small but deep saucepan and pour over the aromatic pomegranate juice mix over the pears so that they are fully immersed in the liquid mix.
- Slowly bring it to a boil, and then turn the heat to low, close the lid and simmer for 30-45 mins until the pears are slightly tender not mushy.
- Turn the heat off and let the pears cool in the liquid for 1-2 hours for the aromas and the colour to permeate through the pears. You can serve immediately with cream of your choice or Greek yogurt. Alternatively, you can refrigerate and serve it for breakfast the next day by reheating and drizzling the liquid over your porridge/yogurt.