Valentines Bites are made with 3 delicious ingredients that have -scientifically proven – libido-boosting properties. All seen in the photo and you get what you see!
I must admit I don’t wait for February the 14th to treat myself and my family to these delicious bitesize balls. It would be such a pity to deprive ourselves of the tasty pleasures of life. These are very much enjoyed throughout the year in our household, especially during the cold winter months. Neither do I make them for their libido-boosting properties – but they are definitely uplifting and mood-enhancing, I suppose that is all we need to have a good time and laughter with our loved ones.
Let us now focus on 3 Nutrient packed, mood-enhancing, and libido-boosting ingredients:
- Dark Chocolate: By dark chocolate, I mean 70% plus cacao content. In fact, the darker the better since it will contain less sugar. The cacao used in making dark chocolate contains a mood-boosting amino acid called tryptophan and phenylethylamine (PEA) which increase the release of serotonin and dopamine, respectively, in the brain and put us in a “good mood”. For this recipe, I use 85% Dark Chocolate and it works wonderfully well.
- Pistachios: Pistachios are rich in fiber, potassium, and in the amino acid arginine. Arginine is known for increasing the blow flow. A group study- 17 men with erectile dysfunction – carried out at Ataturk University had shown that eating 100 grams of pistachios every day for three weeks increased erectile function. For this recipe, I use unsalted pistachio kernels.
- Pomegranates: They are one of the most ancient fruits and are very rich in powerful antioxidants. They originate from Persia and are used in Persian cuisine very often. In Ancient Greece pomegranates were the symbol of rejuvenation and eternal life. According to a group study ( men and women) carried out in the UK, pomegranate juice consumption increased testosterone levels, improved mood and well-being in healthy men and women. I must emphasize that the Testosterone hormone is not exclusive to men. Women need it as well, although in much smaller quantities, to support libido and sex drive, muscle and bone strength, urogenital health, mood, and cognitive function. I use pomegranate quite a lot, and if you like a refreshing pomegranate drink visit my Pomegranate Fizz recipe here.
In addition, if you would like to find out more about aphrodisiac foods, NetDoctor has a list of 30 items with their benefits and scientific evidence references which you can read by clicking here.
Makes 6-8 pieces
Equipment: Trigger handle Ice cream scoop, Muffin tray line with paper muffin liners
- 100 g dark chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 75 grams pomegranate seeds
- 50 grams pistachio/walnuts/mixture of both chopped but not ground
- A handful of pistachios and pomegranates, for garnishing.
- In a large glass bowl mix the nuts and pomegranates with a soft silicone spatula.
- Gradually fold in the melted chocolate using the spatula, mix gently to get an even mixture so that all the fruit and nuts are covered in chocolate. They should all stick together.
- Line the muffin tray with paper muffin cases. Fill in the ice cream scoop with the mixture using the spatula, in order to obtain a nice dome shape. Using the trigger handle transfer the contents of the scoop to the muffin cases.
- Garnish whilst it is still warm and soft so that fruits and nuts stick to the surface.
- Put the muffin tray in the fridge and chill for at least 2 hours until the domes become solid.
- Take the domes out of the muffin cases and enjoy! It will keep in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 days.